TULSA AREA YOUTH SYMPHONY ASSOCIATION, INC.
ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
The Tulsa Youth Symphony Orchestra has established itself as one of the nation‰Ûªs leading training programs for young orchestral musicians. Since its founding in 1963, the Tulsa Youth Symphony has performed more than 200 concerts and has provided the highest level of music training and performance experience to thousands of members.
The Youth Symphony currently serves over 200 students which represent public, private and home schools throughout the 18 counties in Northeast Oklahoma. Former TYSO members have gone on to perform with the Chicago Symphony, the Cincinnati Symphony, the Cleveland Orchestra, the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, the National Symphony and the San Francisco Symphony, among others. Youth Symphony graduates have attended the Juilliard School, the Curtis Institute, the Cleveland Institute, the Eastman School of Music, and Harvard, among many other prestigious universities.
The Tulsa Youth Symphony Orchestra rehearses on Sundays from September to May at Timko Barton Hall on the campus of Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The orchestra‰Ûªs office is near downtown Tulsa.
This position is responsible for the Tulsa Youth Symphony's administrative management. In this role, the administrative director performs direct supervisory duties of administrative staff, and coordinates activities across all functions. This position will report directly to the Executive Director, and will work closely with, and support, the team of Conductors.
- Form a productive, effective, professional, cooperative, and collaborative working relationship with the Executive Director, Production Manager and Conductors, Board and Parent Representatives, and office staff; and present an image of unity to the musicians, audience, donors, supporters and the larger communities the Tulsa Youth Symphony serves.
- Manage and coordinate with office administrative staff and production staff
- Coordinate all activities of the organization, working at the direction of the Executive Director and the Conductors, including:
o Rehearsals, concerts, promotions
o Logistics for travel of the orchestras and ensembles
o Audition process and recruiting activities
o Production staff for concerts and ensemble performances
o Communication with students, parents, teachers, volunteers, conductors, Board
of Directors, office and production staff
o Events and activities with Tulsa Symphony Orchestra
- Manage marketing and promotional activities, including social media, press releases, media contact
- Maintain attendance records and excused absences for rehearsals and concerts
- Manage the signup of new students, collection of membership fees and disbursement of expenses
- Manage the scholarship application and selection process
- Lead fundraising activities, including grant applications to foundations, board fundraising activities, parent fundraising and individual/corporate donations
- Prepare and submit grant applications, and ensure that all grant requirements are met with proper reporting
- Attend concerts
- Participate in Board meetings
- Review monthly/annual financial and donor reports
- Submit annual report to ASCAP
- Knowledge of orchestras, instruments and orchestral music
- Enthusiasm for working with youth
- Ability to think ahead, take personal initiative, and work both independently and as a team member
- Excellent customer service and positive attitude
- Excellent skills in the areas of organization, attention to detail, time management, ability to manage multiple tasks, define and set priorities, and problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications
- Capable of safely lifting at least 35 pounds
- Bachelors degree preferred; Masters in Arts Administration is a plus
- Ability to pass a Federal and State criminal background and child abuse check
- Employment references required
Prior work experience in music or a nonprofit are a plus, but not required
Compensation commensurate with experience. Position to begin after June 1, 2017
More information may be found at tyso.org and on Facebook - Tulsa Youth Symphony
The Tulsa Area Youth Symphony Association, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation
Send resume and questions to:
Stephen Curry Board President - firstname.lastname@example.org
Ronald Wheeler, Executive Director - email@example.com
Include a letter explaining your interest in and goals for the position