College-Conservatory of Music
PO Box 210003
Cincinnati, Ohio 45221-0003
Prof. Jean Hamilton
Program Goals and Objectives
The UC/CCM Graduate Arts Administration Program exists to prepare and train students to become successful CEOs and senior managers of nonprofit arts and cultural institutions. The philosophy and structure of the program reflects the understanding that sound business training and practical, real-world exposure to the field are both essential qualities of a successful arts administrator. The program further recognizes that the successful arts administrator has the leadership capacity to adapt classical theories and practices to the management of a complex and changing arts environment.
After completing this advanced degree, graduates possess specific core competencies in:
- Strategic planning and decision making
- Financial analysis and budget management
- Leadership, organizational development and management of complex, changing organizational environments including:
- Dynamics and logistics of institutional development including:
- Marketing and revenue generation
- Fundraising in its many facets
- Education and outreach
- Community relations
- Production and distribution of art
- Technology management and training
- Legal, ethical and policy environments for the arts
The MA/MBA track offers a wide variety of courses in both Arts Administration and Business, aiming to give students a comprehensive view of the arts sector, nonprofit, for-profit and global business environments.
View course requirements for degree programs and class offerings in the area of Arts Administration here.
MA Degree Requirements
- Completion of the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) OR Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
The GMAT is no longer required for those planning on also applying to the MBA program; either the GMAT or the GRE is acceptable for application to both the MA and MA/MBA programs.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited undergraduate program
- Completion of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (international applicants only)
- Complete the online MA Application for Arts Administration.
- Retrieve the following information to complete your application:
- Official GMAT or GRE scores
- Current Resume referencing details specific to arts administration experience (internships and positions held etc.)
- Essay outlining professional goals and reasons for graduate study of arts administration
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all universities attended
- Email the resume, essay, and recommendations to email@example.com. Any items that you did not submit online and need to be mailed should be sent to the below address:
University of Cincinnati, CCM Graduate Admissions
College-Conservatory of Music
P.O. Box 210003
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0003
Please submit the materials listed above within four weeks of application submission. All materials must be received before the deadline as interview decisions will not be made prior to receipt of all materials.
Arts Administration faculty will arrange interviews in Cincinnati for qualified applicants. In cases where distance and cost are prohibitive, Skype interviews may be substituted.